Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Legacy


I've recently found a new interest. I've always had a pretty good knowledge of my family stories and ancestry, but it wasn't until a recent trip to the family cemetery (where we've got spots for my generation and the one after to be buried) to clean up my grandfathers grave marker, that I realized how very different it is to hear about one's history as to see it. These grave markers are those of a few of my ancestors, the first of Capt. Baker who was the lighthouse keeper of Clapperton Island who mysteriously drowned while on duty. The second is John Alexander McLachlan, my namesake. It's interesting to think that without these two men, I wouldn't be here, the second especially as without him I wouldn't have my very name. I find it is very interesting to see the visual memory of these people and to think ahead of what my physical memory will be.Will it read "Father" like my namesake, or something dramatic like "Drowned..."? Only time will tell.
Archipelago Photography, islands of thought and image, connected with a name

No comments:

Post a Comment