Thursday, January 31, 2013

My Very Own


There is something special in the idea of a personal project. When school assignments get so heavy that the only time you pick up your camera is for someone else, it gets to be a chore. And an art like photography should never be a chore. Never only a chore, at least. So when I can, and when I feel inspired, I pick up my camera and do something just for me. these two are photos I created recently (the latter just last night) and are more related than it would look like at first.
The photos are titles Architecture and The Other (An Ode To R.L.Stevenson)
Architecture is a photoshop amalgam of two images. The first of a weird big steel structure and the second of two (yes, two) buildings at night and the skyline between them. The second photo is cut and mirrored so it looks like three pieces of skyline when there is really only one. I just keep looking at this photo and I can't decide if I like it.
The Other (An Ode to R.L.Stevenson) is something I am rather proud of. It's been sitting in my mind for a long while and it just took some time and effort to actualize it. The technique is pretty simple. It's a long exposure so I can more my head into the scream and hold it (half a second) but with a flash in the beginning so I can freeze my original expression. The title is two-fold: my original title and a shout out to the author of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, my inspiration for the photograph.
Archipelago

No comments:

Post a Comment